Skip to content
- Fresh water prawns – 700 gms
- Onion paste – 5 tbsp
- Ginger + garlic paste – 1 tbsp
- Turmeric powder – 1 tsp
- Whole dry chillies – 4, broken
- Whole garam masala – cinnamon, cloves, green cardamom – 2 each, crushed
- Bay leaf – 2
- Cooking oil – 3 tbsp (I used mustard oil )
- Coconut milk – 2 cups ( I used the thick canned one )
- Sugar – to taste
- Salt – to taste
- Water – 3/4 cup
- Clean, devein and marinate the prawns with 1/2 tsp turmeric powder and salt.
- Heat mustard oil in a kadahi or wok.
- Lightly fry the prawns and remove and keep aside.
- Do not overcook them.
- In the same oil, add the bay leaf, dry red chillies and the crushed garam masalas.
- Then add the onion paste and a little sugar.
- Fry well till the rawness goes away.
- Then add the ginger garlic paste, turmeric powder and fry till oil starts to separate from the sides.
- Now add the fried prawns and mix everything together.
- Raise heat, add a little water and bring to a simmer
- Check for salt and adjust according to taste
- Lower the heat and add coconut milk
- Adjust seasoning, the gravy will be a little on sweeter side
- Cover and simmer for 5 minutes. Serve hot