Red Coconut Chutney
- 2 cups freshly grated coconut
- 3-4 dry red chillies
- 1 small lemon sized ball of tamarind, soaked in water, just enough to dip it
- 1/4 tsp turmeric powder
- Salt to taste
- 1 tsp urad dal (split gram dal)
- 1/2 tsp mustard seeds
- A pinch of asafoetida powder
- 2 tsp oil
- Heat a small pan and add small pieces of the red chilies to it. Fry for approximately one minute and then put off the heat.
- Grind the red chilies in a blender. Add grated coconut, salt and four to five pieces of soaked tamarind. Or add one teaspoon of tamarind paste
- Grind to a coarse consistency, by intermittently, adding the water in which the tamarind was soaked. If you prefer it less tangy, you can add plain water, instead.
- Remove this chutney from the jar into a bowl.
- For seasoning: Heat oil, add urad dal and once it turns light brown, add mustard seeds and hing. Sauté and put off the heat. Add this seasoning to the chutney.