- 3/4 to 1 cup (170 to 227 ml) lukewarm water
- 2 tbsp (28 gm) butter, at room temperature
- 1 large egg
- 3.5 cups (418 gm) all purpose flour
- 1/4 cup (50 gm) sugar
- 1.25 tsp (8 gm) salt
- 1 tbsp instant yeast
For Topping –
- 3 tbsp (43 gm) butter, melted
- 1 large egg white, whisked with 2 tbsp cold water (optional)
- Sesame seeds (optional)
- Mix and knead all of the dough ingredients to make a soft smooth dough
- Cover the dough and let it rise, until it has nearly doubled for 1 to 2 hours
- Gently deflate the dough and divide into 8 pieces or it can be made slightly smaller too
- Shape each piece into a ball
- Flatten each dough ball until it is 3” across
- Place the buns on a lightly greased or parchment-lined baking sheet.
- Cover and let rise until noticeably puffy, about an hour.
- Toward the end of the rising time, preheat the oven to 180°C
- Brush the buns with about half of the melted butter
- Bake the buns for 15-18 minutes, until golden or for smaller buns, bake for 12-15 minutes
- Remove from oven and brush with remaining melted butter
Note – For seeded buns, brush with the optional egg white and cold water mixture, instead of the melted butter. Sprinkle with sesame seeds and bake. Brush the buns with melted butter after baking.