- 1 cup quick cooking oats
- 2 tsp oil
- 1/2 tsp mustard seeds
- 1 tsp urad dal
- 2-3 green chillies, finely chopped
- 1 tsp finely chopped ginger
- 2 sprigs curry leaves
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 1 medium carrot, finely chopped
- 1/4 cup green peas, fresh or frozen
- 8-10 green beans, finely sliced
- 1 medium tomato, finely chopped
- 3 cups water
- 3/4 tsp salt
- 100 gm paneer, cubed
- 1/2 tsp oil
- 2 tsp chia seeds or sesame seeds
- 4 cherry tomatoes, halved
- To prepare these bowls of oats for dinner, start by lightly toasting the oats in a frying pan for about 4 minutes, on a medium flame until fragrant. Remove into a dish and keep aside.
- In the same pan, heat 2 tsp oil and add all the tempering ingredients – mustard seeds, urad dal, chillies, ginger and curry leaves. Fry for 1-2 minutes on medium flame until urad dal turns golden brown.
- To this, add all the vegetables except tomatoes and stir on high flame for 2-3 minutes. Add tomatoes, 1/2 tsp salt and fry for another minute or so.
- Pour in 3 cups water with remaining 1/2 tsp salt and bring this to a boil. Once the water is boiling, reduce flame and simmer for 3-4 minutes until vegetables are nearly cooked.
- At this point, add the toasted oats, give it a stir to break any lumps, keep the flame on medium to low and cover it with the lid.
- Let this cook for 5 minutes until the oats is cooked and creamy. Divide between two bowls.
- In a small pan, heat 1/2 tsp oil and pan fry the cubes of paneer or tofu until golden on all aside. Remove and divide between the two bowls of oats.
- Sprinkle the seeds over the prepared oats. Serve hot.
- Instead of the toppings, serve with a cup of yogurt to make a complete meal.