Charchari (Bengali Mixed Vegetable Dish)
- 2 cups potatoes
- 3 cups brinjal
- 3.5 cups pumpkin
- 3.5 cups ridge gourd
- 1/2 cup pointed gourd
- 2 slit green chillies
- 1/2 tsp turmeric powder
- 1/4 tsp asafoetida powder
- 1 tsp panch phoran
- 2 tsp sugar
- Salt to taste
- 4 tbsp oil
- 8-10 boris
For the Mustard Paste –
- 2 tbsp yellow mustard seeds, soaked in water
- 1 green chilli
- Pinch of salt
- Wash and chop the vegetables in almost equal size.
- Make the mustard paste and set aside
- Steam the vegetables in a kadhai with the mustard paste and 1/2 tsp turmeric powder. Do not add water. Cook the vegetables till done.
- Heat oil in a kadhai
- Temper with panch phoron, asafoetida powder, green chillies.
- Once the spices pop, add the steamed vegetables
- Sauté and add sugar and salt. Mix well.
- Cook without stirring till the water dries out.
- Crumble the fried boris on top of the cooked vegetables