- 4 garlic cloves
- 1 tsp black peppercorns
- 1 tsp vegetable oil
- 1 whole chicken
- 4 slices ginger
- 4 spring onions
- 1 tsp salt
- Use a mortar and pestle to pound the garlic and peppercorns to a rough paste.
- Heat the vegetable oil in a large stock pot.
- Add the garlic paste and cook for a minute or until fragrant.
- Add the remaining ingredients .
- Then pour over enough water to cover the chicken (at least 2.5 litres).
- Place over high heat. Bring to a gentle simmer, then reduce the heat to low and simmer for 90 minutes.
- Skim the surface of the stock often.
- Taste the stock and season with salt.
- Strain and use straight away or freeze for up to 3 months.